How to purchase Tax Deed Properties in Arkansas

quit claim deed

Tax Deed Properties in Arkansas.

How do you purchase Tax Deed Properties in Arkansas?

The 2018 tax delinquent, or tax deed, land auctions will begin April 3, 2018 in Pope County and will continue through September 19, 2017 in Cleburne County, Arkansas. Check our upcoming events page for more complete and updated scheduling information.

Potential bidders should be aware of the auction process and the details of the property on which they intend to bid. You can begin your research of the available tax deed properties at the Public Auction Catalog.

Bidder registration for each tax deed auction begins thirty minutes before the published time of the sale. As a bidder, you should know that:

  • Bids between $1 and $1,000 must be made in increments of $50
  • Bids between $1,000 and $10,000 must be made in increments of $100.
  • Bids above $10,000 must be made in increments of $500.

How are properties offered at the tax deed auction?

The properties are offered in sale number order. This is the same order as shown in the catalog and on the Commissioner of State Lands (COSL) website. The minimum bid is the amount of taxes, interest, penalty and costs due as of the sale date. Any bids above the minimum will automatically include the amount of taxes due.

public charity or private foundation - purchase tax deed propertyHow do I pay if I win a tax deed auction?

The first $100 of each tax deed parcel purchased must be paid in cash, cashier’s check, or money order. So, for example, if you wish to purchase three tax deed properties, you may choose to have $300 in cash ($100 for each property). Any remaining balance owed can be paid by cash, personal check, cashier’s check, money order, or by credit card (if there is an internet connection available at the sale site). Also, be aware that credit card transactions are subject to a processing fee.

Each winning bidder must be prepared to pay any balance in full immediately following the tax deed auction. You will NOT have time to travel to your bank and retrieve money. Have your money ready!

Request Petitions and Offers to Purchase Online

Property owners or bidders can search tax delinquent (tax deed) parcels at the Commissioner of State Lands (COSL) website and print the forms needed to complete a redemption or purchase.

Interested buyers may also print their own offer form on a tax deed parcel, or parcels, and mail it with the appropriate payment.

During and After the Sale

Find out what purchasers need to know before, during, and after the auction or post auction sale of tax delinquent (tax deed) property.

Commissioner’s Advice

The Commissioner of State Lands advises purchasers to seek legal consultation in order to establish stronger title to properties purchased through a tax sale. The Commissioner cannot guarantee title to these properties.

In most cases, buyers of tax delinquent (tax deed) land will be required to obtain a decree of confirmation and quiet title before title insurance can be issued for the property. Buyers of tax deed properties should be prepared to incur additional legal expenses in order to gain clear title to the property.

To Confirm and Quiet Title

Establishing a clear title to properties purchased through tax sales is accomplished by filing a Complaint to Confirm and Quiet Title. This is a complex legal process consisting of an action filed with the County Circuit Court where the property is located. Arkansas state law has very specific requirements for these types of actions. Please consult an Arkansas Real Estate attorney who has experience in this area to assist you with confirming your title.

Upcoming Auctions

Visit our upcoming events section to learn more about upcoming auctions and other events.

Published on: Jul 20, 2015

[last update]

If you have purchased tax delinquent (tax deed) property in Arkansas and need legal assistance to confirm or quiet your title, please contact Deborah at The Hardin Law Firm, PLC.

Call: (501) 247-1830 or Email:

ATTORNEY: Learn more about our Attorneys and Staff.

SERVING: Cabot, Beebe, Ward, Searcy, Jacksonville, Lonoke County, White County, Faulkner County, and other central Arkansas areas. We also routinely serve out-of-state property owners, who require representation in Arkansas.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Laws and procedures can and do change. You should consult a real estate attorney licensed in your area.

4 Comments on How to purchase Tax Deed Properties in Arkansas

  1. how much is the average cost to confirm or do a quiet title? I am considering purchasing a tax deed and would like to know. Thank you!

    • Hi Kim, Thanks for your question! While every case is different, $2500 is the usual cost for quieting the title to a tax deed property right now (2017). We offer discounted rates when you have more than one property in the same county. Please keep in mind, not all attorneys/firms charge the same amount, and prices do change. We are very transparent in our billing and would be happy to send you an engagement letter that outlines the costs involved. If you’d like to set up an initial consult, I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about the process. (501) 247-1830.

      Thank you again, and good luck in the auctions!

  2. Jeff Anderson // July 25, 2017 at 3:16 pm // Reply

    Hello I was wondering if I buy a delinquent property during a tax deed sale what happens after the 90 day litigation period and can the former owner take back the property?

    • Hi Jeff, Thanks for your question. Generally, the former owner must redeem the property during the redemption period. However, humans can be unpredictable and you never know what a former owner, heir, or creditor might try to do. This is why we recommend quiet title actions for tax deed properties. These actions can remove the potential interest of former owners, creditors, etc. Every case is unique, so please speak with an attorney about your particular situation.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.